Menu Planning Central

Monday, May 28, 2007

Not too much

This was really written quite late Sunday night (5/27) but it says it is 5/28. Oh well. Not too much happening around here today...but that is ok with me! :)

It was a nice day today with some overcast here and there. We weren't sure if it was going to rain or not and sometimes the wind also picked up quite a bit which convinced us even more that it would. However, it never did which is fine with us since hubby had a lot of work to do outside.

Well, the last of all the wood has been split and the log splitter we borrowed from a friend has FINALLY been returned! YAY! Hubby is so glad to see that thing outta here! He said he doesn't want to have to split wood again for a very, very long time and I don't blame him. The kids have been such terrific helpers with the wood too. They mostly helped stack the wood or helped pile it onto the trailer to take into the back yard. They took almost all of it into the back and now have some minor clean up to do in the front yard...mostly the wood chips/shreds from using the splitter. I was able to use most of it to mulch my flower gardens this year which was great because it was FREE! Yippee, free is good! :) I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Hubby had plans to take down a small evergreen tree, which is sort of like a "yew" tree, since it was badly damaged over the winter (1/3 of died and the pine needles are gone from that section), but it is a good thing he looked at it closely before he did anything! After peeking inside of it, he noticed a teeny, tiny nest with a mama chipping sparrow sitting on top of it!!! Isn't that so wonderful? I think hubby knew to check inside since last year there was a nest in the same tree...it may have been chipping sparrows last year and who knows...it just may be the same nest. So, this tree won't be going anywhere until the birds are all grown up and leave the nest. Thank you again Lord for such a wonderful gift for us!!! :)

My daughter and I took a quick run to the Dollar General when the baby took his nap and I finally got a pair of those gardening clogs I've always wanted. I just love clogs! I will try to post a picture of them tomorrow. They are super light and it almost feels like you aren't wearing anything at all. I don't know what they are made out of, but it feels similar to a styrofoam material but I'm sure it isn't made out of that. They are perfect since whenever they get dirty you just rinse them off and let them air dry! I love simple. They are also very comfortable which is a great plus.

After the kids' club classes at church tonight, we took some time out for fun and went to the newly built playground at a local school. It was really nice and the kids just loved it. It's so wonderful to go to a playground that is nice and fresh looking without broken/damaged parts and graffiti all over it! The baby really enjoyed the swing and each of the middle four kids took turns taking him down the slide on their lap. We had so much fun! :)

Oh, I almost forgot! Yesterday I saw the male Ruby Throated Hummingbird do his "mating" dance/courtship display trying to impress a female hummingbird that was watching from my rhododendron. For those of you who may not know what a hummingbird courtship display is, here is a description I found:

"The male dives down towards the resting or feeding female. Like a pendulum he sweeps past her and up to a point 2 to 3 m in the air, then back along the same path in reverse. He repeats this swinging display time and again, all the while uttering squeaky notes. As he dives past the female his wings hum the loudest; as he swings closer to the female his hum becomes more intense and his speed increases."

So it looks like he is flying back and forth in the shape of a capital letter "U". Honestly it is so fascinating to watch!!! I just love the outdoor birds.

0 Comments:

Menu Planning Central